Saturday, April 29, 2006

Industry: The cutthroat business world


Remember Jay Williams? The 2002 NCAA male college "baller" of the year from Duke?

Well, he was in a horrific speedbike accident in 2003 and he is currently rehabbing to try to get back to the NBA. In the meantime, he's an ESPN college basketball analyst. He wrote this brutally honest article about whether college "ballers" should go pro or stay in school.

"...The next level is the business world. It's cutthroat. Guys are going to do what it takes to keep you down.

It's a long way from the carefree environment of college basketball.

I know from experience that kids going to the NBA don't grasp that concept. They think, "This will be fun. I'm playing basketball." They're not approaching it like a veteran does: "I've got a wife and kids at home. I've got to come out here and put that rookie on his butt."

In my rookie year, even though I was coming in as the No. 2 pick in the draft (after Yao Ming), I found out that the NBA wasn't necessarily welcoming me with open arms. My teammates were really my competitors, fighting with me over playing time. Sometimes the guys you lived with and ate dinner with were quoted in the newspaper ripping you, and you're standing beside them in the locker room, saying to yourself, "I can't believe you're saying that about me."

Coming from college, that's not something you're used to hearing. You want to be buddy-buddy with everyone, like you were at school, but the NBA doesn't work that way. Instead, you're surrounded at least 82 games a year by guys who want to take something from you...You have to be mature enough to understand all of that..."


Could this be related to working in a corporation/company/agency too? Just replace NBA with company and teammates with coworkers...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a at home jobs site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

About Us / Privacy Policy and Terms of Use / Contact Us
LEGAL STUFF: The views expressed on The Ranch are not officially representative of the The University of Texas at Austin. © 2008. All rights reserved. Founded by David Wen, with Silver Cuellar's help, on a lonely February 14, 2006 in Austin, TX for the benefit of all.