Tuesday, July 04, 2006

adidas courts ten year old bball phenom

photo credit: (Preston Keres - The Washington Post)


Dirk Nowitzki started playing basketball in his teens and he got noticed as a 17 year old who schooled the Americans at an international basketball tournament in Dallas with 33 points and 17 rebounds. Now, there's a ten year old boy out of Baltimore, Justin Jennifer, who could be the "next Lebron James."

He has co-starred in W+K's Carmelo commercial and he was featured in the Washington Post recently.

excerpted

"Adidas pays Scottie Bowden to find impact players and get them into Adidas gear. That usually means 15- or 16-year-olds, but the company has no age minimums; it wants to procure the best players, said Darren Kalish, Adidas's director of grass-roots basketball programs.

Bowden courted Justin just after he turned 9.

"It's about brand loyalty," Bowden said. "If you're in my uniform at 10 or 11, maybe you will stay with me later on. I'm not always happy we're focusing on 9-, 10-, 11-year-old kids. That's so early. But this is a business. And if that's what I've got to do now, then that's what I'm going to do."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm from the Connecticut area and I have a son that is 10 and going to 11 in February, I believe he is just as good as Justin is.

Mike Ancrum
mike_ancrum23@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I'm from baltimore and have know Justin since he was 5 or 6 and I don't believe i've seen a kid as talented as him in my life. In my life time, I've played with and against some of baltimore's greats including my fellow Alumni Melo, and Justin is a phenom.....he is as good as advertised, if he grows a little more, just get ready for the next best thing

About Us / Privacy Policy and Terms of Use / Contact Us
LEGAL STUFF: The views expressed on The Ranch are not officially representative of the The University of Texas at Austin. © 2008. All rights reserved. Founded by David Wen, with Silver Cuellar's help, on a lonely February 14, 2006 in Austin, TX for the benefit of all.